Friday, August 11, 2006

In the early years in college, I used to drive to Pittsburgh to hang out with my cousin, go for some mountain bike rides, and of course, drink some beer. You may call him a bad influence, but I beg to differ. He may have facilitated my drinking, but he also facilitated my understanding of enjoying life. Even if he is not having the time of his life, you sure as hell are going to think he is, and it tends to spread infectiously to the people around him. The days of Pittsburgh it was mountain biking through Seven Springs, post ride interviews (as he would call them) with Mr. Yuengling, some fattening subs at a locally famous shop – I forget its name- and always a concert. We saw Phish, Blues Traveler, and Dave Matthew’s Band among others, always managing a tailgating event before each and often a veggie burrito afterward.

When he moved out to Boulder, it wasn’t long until I came out to visit and then another. I was drug along, or managed to tag along, to a few of his trips while there; mountain Biking in Red Rocks, Fruita and Breckenridge, nights out with Tim and some of his friends and always a cold beverage available in the cooler or fridge.



Almost ten months ago I received a call from Josh, a friend from my time in Spain, offering the possibility of a Spanish teaching job in the district where he worked, two months after that I was teaching Spanish and living in my cousin’s spare room. I moved out not to long ago, but we still manage to see each other every now and then, fitting our rendezvous in outings, drinks, and parties. Just this past Wednesday, he invited me to join in as well as anyone who I thought in bringing for a cookout watching the sun drop past the western edge of the eastern Rockies and the full moon come out from its hiding over the flatirons. Here are some pictures from yet another smile inducing event compliments of the event planner by evening/operations manager by day.

No comments: