Friday, April 29, 2011

...your a thousand miles away...



the shot


...adrienne, on her way to stand in the doorway, framed by the tree and the light post, created a shot that i could not resist but to take. the dim lights of the plaza helped to cast a shadow that pointed her walk directly back towards me. her shadow assures me that her walk is not one way -away from my presence and the camera- but instead a walk so that we can constantly see each other in new light, under different stimuli. never is there a doubt to the kind of photo that can result from her being the referent of the camera's focus.

over the past few months i have become a fan of black and white imagery. the contrast of dark and light, the timelessness that is lent to the shot, reaching both back into time and into the future. my past and future is in this photograph. one of the first memories that i have explicitly with my father is one that has to do with the camera. my father's camera sat on a tripod aimed towards the city of cincinnati to grab the momentary illumination of the entire skyline. his timing chord draped from the location where it screwed into the camera so that the movement of his pressing of the shutter button did not blur the resulting image. one of my first prized gifts as a child was a fuji camera from my mother and father. that is part of the past that brought me to this image, among many.

and then there is the future. this photograph holds the future, not in the sense of death that is barthes, but instead the reminder of the beauty that i must never take for granted in my life, the beauty of my present and future. to hold that in the focus of my eyes and not the eyes of the camera (though the latter will be part of it for sure).

and then lief would ask: "hey there delilah, what is it like in new york city?"

delilah would likely respond: "beautiful. tall and beautiful. you really must visit."

lief may just answer: "zwolle is as well. do you remember the wine? and bread?"


you are so close.

No comments: