Tuesday, September 06, 2011

foggy memories




just before starting back into the corporate race of protectiveness, competitiveness and miss-understood cooperation, and just after finishing the course-load for my masters program, the netherlands we my temporary home where i could spend some time with someone important to me. during that trip my camera had been placing a weird, black mark in some of my images. while cleaning it i noticed that it took some time for the lens to lose the fog and that the resulting effect was desirable in certain instances. with that in mind adrienne and i were on a bus from amesrfoort to woudenberg to spend some time at her parents' home and possibly pick up the car for some trip, even possibly the consulate general. so since the camera had begun to replace the small mark in the photo, it occurred to me that the light might make for a good photo where the image was blurred not from a lack of focus, but instead some fogginess of the "observer".

here is the image that resulted from the momentary photo-shoot that took place on the bus trip, somewhere in between the two dutch cities. now, of course the lack of clarity can be attained digitally through post-production, but there is something special from this photo, something that reminds me of the bus ride without telling me much more. 

but i am one of many people, and without the narrated context, there is something else to the photograph. i could intend to remove the contextual information from my mind, but even with the lack of clarity both in memory and photo, there is too much informational noise to allow me to remove myself from the image. even with that said, the photo gives me the sensation of distance, of lost sexuality (a shoulder slightly turned away and covered with a scarf and a light shirt that teases of something more but that moves away from the observers eye as they pan the photo from right to left. 

so shortly, i might take a cloth to the condensation on the lens and try to see what is underneath, try to remember exactly what it is behind the cold blue that accompanies the distancing shoulder. 


No comments: